Sunday, April 24, 2011

Group Show: EDGE, Art on the Westside

 R. Blitzer Gallery May 6-29th, 2011
 450 Natural Bridges Dr. Santa Cruz, CA
OPENING RECEPTION: First Friday, May 6th, 6-9 PM
ARTISTS' RECEPTION: Saturday, May 21st, 4-8 PM
$5 donation requested. A majority of proceeds will be donated to MAH's children's education programs.

GALLERY HOURS: MON-FRI 9AM-noon; 2-5PM & SAT-SUN 11AM-5PM 

ARTIST STATEMENT

Hermit's Hand

If the subconscious takes up about 99.9% of the mind on a day when we are fairly clear, recording all of the past and source of most of our fears, desires, dreams and decisions, then it makes sense to be in conscious dialogue with that part of us which is below our level of consciousness. For me the creative process is about meaning making; not in an analytical sense, but mythically and poetic. Similar to nighttime dreams, it informs my world. My paintings begin in a fluid relaxed state of presence and only later, as in dream work, do symbols and metaphors begin to inform the journey.


Right now, my subconscious is apparently filled with a metallic shine. Perhaps it expresses the alchemic process of transforming lead, or excrement in Jungian terms, to gold. Turning loss, struggle with daily survival and failure into renewed commitment to life purpose is a metaphor present in most of our lives at this time. It took me some time to recognize the two archetypes which appeared on the gold fields of my two larger paintings. Even with their separate feminine and masculine energy, they are androgynous. The Hierophant and the Hermit have come to work in partnership together in my life for the first time.


Hand of Hierophant

The Hierophant, represents the inner guide, student/teacher, who accesses information for herself. Her totem, the swan, is an ancient symbol which bridges new realms and new powers. Swan totem carries energy of the child: mystic and dreamer, who use beauty medicine as power. The painted figure is feminine, but has a strong seat of masculine energy.


Partnered energetically, for me, with this Inner Guide is the Hermit: seeker who holds the power to fulfill one’s self. He is self acceptance and self love. His leaning forward listening to spirit or to the object above the hand disguises his age. Into the Hermit painting, before I knew that owls were connected to the Hermit came a Barn Owl, symbolizing wisdom, prophecy, and willingness to keep silent. Together these figures create an alliance and example for me of how to be in the world at this time; trusting inner guidance to bridge to the needed new models that are being called forth.

Hands of Hierophant and Hermit’s Hands: two small, two-sided paintings on wood explored further the imagery of the large paintings. Hands are a symbol in my work of interaction with the inner and outer worlds: giving blessings, using energy and materials and handling the world. Hierophant’s Swan Amulet/Race Car Driver, two-sided painting goes with the Hierophant painting, but not necessarily hung together.

Detail of Owl Rattle in holder

BIO:

Although my formal academic and studio art education includes the California University system, Naropa Institute and studies in France and Spain, I feel my serious studies began grinding calligraphy ink at Daitokuji Temple in Kyoto, Japan. With apprenticeships in ceramics, papermaking, and extensive study in the traditional cultural arts for twelve years, I began to perceive my relationship to Western Art and to use creative process as personal practice. Painting, for me, links imagination to personal and collective healing, reflection, integration, and community vision building. Just as poetry at best expresses truth beyond everyday language, images also can introduce a greater reality. My aspiration is for my art is to be an integral part of my daily life, a tool for navigation and communication with myself and others.