Monday, October 4, 2010

OPEN STUDIO TOURS October 2010

OPEN STUDIO TOURS 2010
October 9,10 & 16,17



HUGE SALE! 40 Large PAINTINGS ON PAPER must go to Finance the Dream of a large bed press (44" X 30") for Monoprinting, starting at $100. 

Meeting
Making a Red Ladder
Fairy Tales and myth are the language of the soul. Knowing the tales you are living shines the light of consciousness on the beliefs that sponsor our daily stories.  Sometimes sadly we are the last one to get the drama that is so obvious to others. Speaking of...........

I have a huge stack of large paintings on paper that need to be stored flat.  They take up a lot of room and have found there way under my bed which is now four feet high. I have a high ceiling,  but it is ludicrous to need a step ladder to get into bed. So this is how I found myself  in the tale of the Princess and the Pea wanting to change my bed of paintings  for a  press bed.

Princess Bed #1
Princess Bed #2
In the story, the Princess comes to the castle in a storm, wet and bedraggles. Her true value is not recognizable so she must be tested. She sleeps high  atop dozens of mattresses but notices that something is wrong, she is not comfortable.

I too have not been sleeping well, dreaming about making images in a new way, monorprints. Monoprints in them self is a  kind of Fairy Tale contradiction in that prints are usually multiples and mono is one of a kind.  I long for the immediacy that opens up space for spirit to intervene in the monoprint process which is so different from direct painting. The Universe as magical element is involved as I have  received a stack of large sheets of printing paper, perfect for this process.

The high bed in the Fairy Tale is connected to an impossible task, of sensing something out of order. For me the task is to convert the product of creativity to the means of creating something else.
Warrior

It is time to make room for new work. 

Different images emerge from different formats and materials. Painting is my passion and I will continue to paint even with the press. I am also still excited about the format of the tall two panel screens, which seem to be multiplying when I turn my back. I love the double sides and edges that invite embellishment of objects and silk ties. 

The paintings that I have been sleeping on are up for sale, very very reasonable, to facilitate the purchase of a press, inks, rollers, etc.

I will be moving my teaching studio from Live Oak to the West Side in November which is another reason to grant these images permission to find their new life. It does seem true that pieces of artwork have their own destiny like characters in a book that begin to dictate the plot. These paintings on paper have been murmuring to me at night like teenagers sneaking out the window at night. They want to go and are ready to set off in tothe world. So I must loosen my apron strings and see them off even if it means selling them for what you can pay. I need your help in this adventure otherwise I may turn to that Gorilla Artist tactic of leaving art around town as a random act of...
All these paintings  are on industrial or printing paper, mostly around 3' X 4'. Some are in an ingenious frame at the top and bottom for hanging without glass. The frame is extra. These are some of the images, make an offer and get this wild princess free from court life and back into printing.

Tryst
Raining Face
Bear
Hierophant Scale
Shadowing an Angel
Three Sale Paintings on Paper with Frames

Making Sacred
Hopscotch Deva